It’s the most important week in Christian history. Jesus’ death and resurrection are the cornerstones of faith in Him. What are the events of Jesus’ final week on Earth, and do they line up with the Hebrew Scriptures?
In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, you’ll gain a better understanding of Holy Week and its ties to Old Testament Scriptures. Beginning with Jesus’ Triumphal Entry on Palm Sunday and on through the Last Supper, Garden of Gethsemane and Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection, Carly and Ezra examine Holy Week through the Jewish context in which it all occurred.
Along the way
During this compelling discussion, Ezra and Carly touch on several interesting points including,
- How Jesus didn’t show up to invent a new religion but to fulfill foundational promises of the Hebrew Scriptures
- Inspiring insight into Jesus’ Triumphal Entry on Palm Sunday
- What the “offense” or “scandal” of Jesus’ death was
- Ezra’s thought-provoking idea about the timeline of Holy Week’s events
- Does anyone really know what “Maundy” means? Carly does!
- The Passover Seder cup and the four promises of God it represents
- The Roman instrument of execution known as the cross
- The significance of the Temple veil tearing in two
- Jesus’ radical statements about Himself and the reasons behind the Jewish rabbis’ responses
- The vital importance of the resurrection
- Paul’s Gospel “elevator pitch”
Words you might learn in this episode
Yeshua, Hosanna, Hoshianah, Psalms of Ascent, ana Adonai hoshianah, Triumphal Entry, Sukkot, Pesach, Maundy, Seder, maror, rabbi, rabboni, Gethsemane, gat shemanim, Shabbat, double Shabbat, Yeshua the Messiah
Scriptures referenced in this episode
John 12:12–14, Zechariah 9:9, Genesis 3:15, Psalm 118, 1 Corinthians 5:7, Luke 22:42, Zechariah 14:1–9, 2 Timothy 1:10, Revelation 1:8, Mark 14:18–26, Matthew 26:26–28, Matthew 26:23, John 13:5–14, John 1:29, Deuteronomy 8:3, Luke 4:4, John 6:35, Matthew 27:32–56, Matthew 26:39, 42, Mark 15:17, Luke 23:26, Deuteronomy 21:23, Galatians 3:13, Exodus 12:6–7, John 19:34, Matthew 27:51, Luke 22:19–20, Isaiah 53, Psalm 16:10, Matthew 28:6, Matthew 12:40, John 11:25, John 8:58, Matthew 9:6, John 10:17–18, Matthew 17:1–8, 1 Corinthians 15:3–8
Get A FREE Messianic Passover Haggadah! Go to www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org/passover.
Run with Us! (Or Walk) to support Israel and the Jewish people. Register for the Bless Israel Virtual 5K April 12–18, 2021.
Want a free bag of amazing Ethiopian coffee? Enter our monthly drawing at www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org, and you could win a free bag of Lost Tribes Coffee Co. coffee.
The only way we’re able to continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps.
Subscribe and Review
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts. Leaving a review will help others know to tune in too.
Share the podcast with people you know to spread the word.
Follow and Engage
Follow and engage with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.