He’s funny. He’s unconventional. He’s Rabbi Matt Rosenberg of “Restoration,” a Messianic fellowship in Seattle, Washington, that seeks to unite Jews and Gentiles into one worship community.
In this episode of A Jew & A Gentile Discuss, Ezra and Carly talk with Rabbi Matt about Messianic congregations of his parents’ day versus the atypical leadership he’s called to. They ask him about:
- His own story and background
- What drew him to Seattle for ministry
- His unique Messianic congregation and why it doesn’t have a Hebrew name
- How he honors his parents’ Messianic legacy while doing something so completely different
- Confronting a respected pastor of one of the largest evangelical churches in America
- Why he’s leading a Messianic congregation rather than a bigger Christian church
- Passing on Jewish identity to his children when his wife is not Jewish
- Why a Christian should try a Messianic congregation
Along the way
During the conversation, you’ll also hear some fascinating insights into:
- Settling one’s Jewish identity despite getting hit from both sides – Christian and Jewish – that now that they believe in Jesus, they’re “not Jewish anymore”
- Coexisting in a community with people practicing different faith observances
- Blowing away stereotypes that many people have about Believers in Jesus
- Prioritizing honor, relationship and open dialogue in the midst of disagreement
- How the primary question between Jews and Christians has reversed over the last 2,000 years
- Matt’s challenging reply to people denying his Jewishness because of his Gentile mother
- The important contribution of Messianic Judaism to the larger Body of Messiah
Words you might learn in this episode
Mazal Tov, Gentile, replacement theology
Hear other exciting conversations between “a Jew and a Gentile” wherever you listen to podcasts or go to www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org for more information.
You can support this podcast and, at the same time, help Jewish people in need around the world. Learn more and find out how you can get some of the best-tasting coffee in the world at Lost Tribes Coffee Co.
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.